Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Chicken Tortilla Soup
My cheat meal last weekend was Mexican food.  I had never tried the Chicken Tortilla soup before since I don't really think of eating soup at a Mexican restaurant, so I decided to try it, and of course I loved every bite!  So, as usual, I came up with a healthy version :)  This is healthy and very quick and easy!  Goes well with a grilled cheese sandwich too, but I didn't go that far ;)
Ingredients:
1 cup Trader Joe's organic low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. of natural tomato paste
1/2 cup of fresh sliced tomatoes
1/2 cup of chopped onion
Green chilies (remember these are hot so I only put a few slices in the soup)
0.3 oz. Avocado
Garden of Eaten blue tortilla chips (I bought these at Whole Foods and only used about 8 chips)
Cummin to taste--this is spicy so if you like spicy dash away!
Onion powder to taste
Garlic powder to taste
4 oz. chicken breast
Directions:
Slice and dice the chicken and cook in a pan and saute the onions and tomatoes with the chicken.  Put the other ingredients into a pot.  Once the chicken is cooked pour this and the onions and tomatoes into the pot along with the other ingredients and heat for about 5 minutes.  Top the soup with the chips and avocado.
Nutrition Facts:
245 calories
31 grams of protein
17 grams of carbs
5.5 grams of fat

No comments:

Post a Comment